The National Council for Geographic Education works to enhance the status and quality of geography teaching and learning. The NCGE serves this mission in order to:
- Promote and support geography education;
- Enhance the preparation of geography educators with respect to their knowledge of content, techniques, and learning processes;
- Facilitate communications and professional development among teachers of geography;
- Encourage and support research on geography education;
- Develop, publish, and promote the use of curriculum, resources, and learning materials;
- Recognize exceptional supporters and teachers of geography; and
- Collaborate with other organizations that have similar goals.